Monday, March 24, 2008

Pod People



Before coming to Japan there were only a handful of things that I knew about Japan. They ate raw fish, they made really good tech stuff, the people were small, and there were pod hotels. While I adjusted to life here in the past 8 months I have come to learn much more about this culture. However, one thing I still get excited about is the pod. I've slept in a pod and its not that bad. The novelty is a great kicker, but its just darn efficient. You have a row of pods, maybe 10 long by 2 high, in which about 20 people can fit into the space that maybe 4 or 5 people would fit in a normal hotel. Genius I tell you! I had my friend Katie do a short descriptive overview of the pod and how it works. If you want to see that please visit http://kevininjapan.podomatic.com/. Oh, and by the way, they aren't called pods, they are capsules.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks kinda like a mausoleum

Kevin said...

I actually like them quite a bit. The only bad thing is that sometimes a person snores really loud and in the morning alarms are going off from about 5 to 7, but otherwise they are quite comfy.

Anonymous said...

Pods. Capsules. Whatever. I can see myself stumbling in to one of them drunk and freaking the hell out when I wake up (still drunk) a couple hours later.

I'll stick to my hostels and internet cafes.

Anonymous said...

Kevin that looks scary especially with your feet hanging out. Are they hyperbaric? And what if someone broke the rules and lit one up in their pod, starting a pod fire. I didn't see any sprinklers.

They look stuffy. I don't think I ever want to sleep in one of those on purpose. Your mom is right.

Good blog though, fun to read about. :)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask how much it costs to sleep in one and do they come in just one size? I'd sure hate to be sleeping next to the "pod party" gross ~ no thanks! I'm sure housekeeping doesn't wipe down all four walls everytime do they? Rahh, yuck.

And what about it you have to get up and use the bathrooom in the middle of the night, isn't it noisy? Those doors look heavy.

Kevin said...

Hahaha, I just stuck my feet out to be funny, in that picture there is about 3 feet of unused space in front of my head. A person can easily fit in the pod. Only at about 6 foot 3 would someone have to reconsider. They are relatively cheap to sleep in, maybe 3000 yen, which is like 25 bucks and is a really good price for the middle of Tokyo. Plus they have an onsen and restuarant on site and the onsen is free which is awesome. hmm... I dont know if they have doubles, if they do, I havent seen them. They are not hyperbaric. No, there are not any sprinklers in the actual pod, but there are in the hallways, so they would also soak the pods if there was a fire.
Japanese people are extremely polite, so lighting up would probably only be the work of a foreigner who couldnt read the signs. Otherwise you can smoke just down the hall.
Its not too noisy to get up and go to the bathroom. I only woke up once when I was there and that was cause of the guy snoring, but there were at least 30 people in my pod of pods.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... I'm still not convinced but you know me. I would if they were hyperbaric though, you'd wake up feeling like a million bucks! :D