Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Kyoto







There isn’t too much for me to say about Kyoto. Yes, I know, I know, it has a long and rich history, but that is not my story. Kyoto is the “old” capitol of Japan. Location was switched in around 1865 after to Boshin War to the present location of Tokyo, leaving much of the old life intact in Kyoto. If you go today you will find a beautiful city, full of temples and tradition. I saw geisha, sakura (cherry blossoms), and many, many temples and shrines.
I went with my friend and his friend from Puerto Rico. It was really nice to have their companionship. My friend and I took an overnight bus from Fukushima City, it took about 8 hours to get there, but the drive was fairly comfortable and I got some sleep during the night. Upon arriving there we walked around a bit and eventually got a bento lunch, a beer, and a comfortable spot in the park where we ate and then napped. It was really rather lovely with the newly bloomed cherry trees around us. Later we met up with his friend who had been touring other parts of Japan. Over the next few days we bumped around the city, exploring and doing fun things like renting bikes, going to a jazz club (where Richard played with the band!), and of course going to many historical spots. My main impression of Kyoto was temple/shrine – temple/shrine. I plan to revisit some day as I had only about 48 hours and I am sure it will be much more temple/shrine, but I hope to find something else, something deeper. Perhaps the next time around will be more meaningful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev - you need a haircut!
Luv, Mom

Kevin said...

I got a haircut since then, but Aya doesnt like my hair short. So... hm.. mother/girlfriend, girlfriend/mother

Anonymous said...

That pic of you both riding the bikes is awesome! I like it a lot.

(I'd go with girlfriend although mom's way is good too)

:)

japalinka said...

next time you're in Kyoto and got time, I'd recommend taking a walking tour with Johnnie Hillwalker. I think that's what he calls himself. He took us through back streets of Kyoto and to a couple of temples and his explanations and stories really gave a wonderful insight into quite a complex city.
I'm with the gf on the hair issue. Sorry, Kevin's mom. :)

Anonymous said...

girlfriend vs mom... well, for the time being, I have dibs, but that can change - I am usually the last to find out
Mom