Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tokyo Marathon


Next month I will be running the Tokyo Marathon. Yes, it is a full marathon and yes I have been training. If you haven't noticed yet there is a link on the right side of this blog which links you to a running journal that I have been keeping.
Tokyo Marathon is a relatively young marathon. The first Tokyo Marathon was held on 18th March 2007. However, years prior to 2007, Tokyo Marathon actually consisted of two marathons - the Tokyo International Marathon which took place on even years, and Tokyo - New York Friendship International Marathon which took place on odd years. There are so many people that apply that a lottery must take place to determine who gets to run. This year about 275,000 people applied. Only 30,000 got in. I was one of them.
This will be my first marathon, so I am not sure what to expect, but judging from the photos it will be crazy packed with people. When I first signed up in July I thought that my goal, should I win the lottery, would be to just complete the race. That has evolved at bit from completing the race, to finishing under 5 hours, finishing under 4.5 hours and now finishing under 4 hours. 4 hours is an unofficial marker for a good time for a marathon. If you can get less than 4 you are fairly swift. Right now my 15k times (avg 1hr 15min, including two short walking breaks and a short drinking/eating break) are telling me that I could do it in less than 4, that is if I can keep that pace. The longest run I have had so far has been 23k, which I am hoping to top this weekend. Even at 23k my pace held, so I am hoping it will hold for the entire 42.195k However recently I have had some injuries and had to cut back training, so my goal is back to being under 4.5 Right now, my main hope is that I remain injury free to race day just so I can race at all.

As race day approaches I think more and more about timing, but really it doesnt matter a lick. Its my first marathon and so any time will be my best time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There is no way anyone can get ahead of that crowd! WOW! I suggest just driving over to the finish line, do a few push-ups then walk right through the rope ;P (it's awesome you're doing this btw)

Mom said...

Maybe a dumb question, but... what is the distance of this marathon? At first I assumed the usual 26 miles, but then you probably would be running more kilometers than what you listed in your blog?
Mom

veryshuai said...

You will also be running your worst time.

The glass isn't either half full, or half empty. It is too big.

Kevin said...

mom, its 26 miles, which works out to about 41.something something kilometers. Training suggests not doing a full 40k practice run, but gradually picking up distance until about two weeks before the race peaking with about 70k for the week and a 30k long run. I could do more, but from all I have read it is not recommended. Too much too fast.

I would have hoped to be close to 60k a week now with my weekly running, but its just not working out that way. I have had a couple little injuries along the way that made me take breaks and then I cant just jump right back up to where I was, gotta go slow. So last week was 45, this week will be about 55, next 60, then 65, etc. granted I don't get hurt again.