Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Hanami


It is usually this time of year in Japan when most foreign people sigh and think; I really like Japan. It is also this time of year when most Japanese people think, I am Japanese.

The reason for this is hanami, or flower viewing, which really means the viewing of the cherry blossoms. From late March to May cherry trees in Japan begin to bloom. It is also this time of year that weather starts to become warmer. The sakura (cherry blossoms) because of the variations in latitudes and therefore climates, bloom first in the south of Japan and then creep northward ending in Hokkaido in May. Sometimes on the news you can even watch the “hanami front” as it creeps northward like some lovely pink army.
The flowers are very beautiful and many people like to picnic under them. At times the places with many cherry trees can look like a giant party as many groups will be picnicking at the same time. Unfortunately the flowers only last for about 2 weeks before they fall off. This also can be a beautiful time as flower petals falling resemble snow and hanafubuki, or flower blizzards, occur in high density areas.
I took the picture above in Ueno Park about one month ago. I had just arrived back from Australia and had time to kill before my bus. I thought the park would have some good flower viewing and I was right. There were lots of people there, everyone having a good time. I bought myself a beer and some yakisoba, a noodle dish, and sat under the trees enjoying my food and the view. As I sat beneath the trees I thought to myself that this might be the last time I see these trees for a while. If all goes to plan I will return to the US in August. So, with that in mind I sighed and thought; I really like Japan.

3 comments:

Mommy-San said...

Ah, yes... Ueno park. We were there about the same time last year, and altho the peak of hanami was past, we still experienced some petal blizzards!

Kathy said...

There´s a good German movie called "Hanami", the cherry blossoms symbolizing the transientness of everything in life.

Kevin said...

Yes, it is a very good analogy. The bud slowly growing, bursting forth with life to live but a short and beautiful time, then slowly blowing away.
That reminds me of a story called, "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf". Have you ever read it? It's designed to help kids understand and cope with death, but is a pretty sweet book for adults too.