Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tractor Pull


This past weekend I went to the Champaign County fair with a few friends from the NEH institute. Two were New Yorkers and one Floridian. The Floridian was the most keen to go and the other two were just along for the cultural experience. They had never gone before and were curious to see this event. I remember going with my dad when I was a kid, but mostly what I remember is that the races were too loud. It is funny coming back to America after 5 year of being mostly abroad. There are certain things about America that I can very clearly see in a cultural light now. Tattoos, large serving sizes,striking up conversations with strangers, all those things aren't as normal in the places I have been. Certainly I haven't seen any tractor pulls. At the tractor pull just about everyone I saw in the grand stands was fat. Interestingly I saw what I would dub a "mega cup" for the first time and then saw another one just a few minutes later. It looked like a plastic coffee mug, but was big enough to fit a 2 liter bottle of soda. Judging by the guys holding them I'm sure the were packing it away. The tractor pull itself was interesting, for the first 15 minutes or so. After the first few people went and we got the jist of what was going on the event became rather boring. I suppose for those involved and probably for people who are interested in farm machinery and mechanics this would be a cool event, but not for us. The two New Yorkers put it best. One said, "I can't believe people do such a thing" and the other one made a comment about how when the announcer said stuff like, "Look at him go! what a competitor!" the only thing happening was a guy driving a tractor at about 15mph. I was a bit indifferent, but my butt was getting sore (not enough padding, maybe I should have bought a "mega cup") and so when they suggested we leave I was all for it. The Floridian hadn't had his fill yet and wanted to see the semi-truck pulls, but decided to come with us. All in all, a nice night enjoying American culture.

3 comments:

veryshuai said...

Note just American culture..."real American" culture.

dtc said...

Love it! I would of also been a little more pumped for the semi's but no big deal still pretty cool. Heh Kev, does it feel like visiting a foreign place or coming back home? I'm sure a bit of both, but maybe what about what you identify yourself as? An American, an international man of mystery, Asian-American!

Kevin said...

The longer I am away the more I can see it as a foreign place, but it will always be home. I'm not so sure that I identify myself as American as such anymore. To be American to me means having a sense of nationalism, which I don't really have. Also, not sure what I do identify as. I guess I feel like I don't need or want that label. However, having an American passport does bring a lot of good things with it. haha.