Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pulau SongSong





A couple of weeks ago I went to Pulau SongSong, located just off the coast of Kedah in Peninsular Malaysia. For the King’s birthday we had a Wednesday off and I jumped at the chance to get off of this rock and onto another one. I went with about a dozen other people and we hired two boats from Batu Ferringi. The ride out was great as the wind was blowing in our faces and the cool clear morning was beginning. Along the way we saw many fishermen and smaller island and each time I thought we might be arriving. It took us about an hour to get there and once we had unloaded the boats took off to find other work for the day. With no agenda we mostly swam, snorkeled, had lunch, had a couple beers, took a nap, played in the sand and relaxed. The beach itself was nice, but littered with debris, mostly plastic. Earlier in the year a group of our students had come to clean the beach and I heard that they had left with 15 large trash bags, but you would have never known it looking at the beach. Still it was a nice day away and riding the swells on the way back was also quite fun. As I arrived home sunburned, tired, and sandy I was happy that I had taken the time to visit Pulau SongSong and thought that I may go back again if the opportunity arises.

6 comments:

veryshuai said...

Looks like horseshoe island off of Nicolet Bay beach in Peninsula State Park.

Now go put another layer of paint on that outhouse.

Mom said...

Yes, this sounds like a day in Door County. Is it autumn down there?

Kevin said...

Its spring, but everyday is 30C with 80% humidity so seasons don't really apply. Weather here is boring.

Sandy said...

Boring?!?!? Kevin, that's amazing! Btw, miss talking to you on fb. It's been a year or so since I deleted it, not sure if I told you. From what I see here, you and Aya are doing great! Very happy for you. I've bookmarked your blog so I be back to read!! Was just thinking about you guys and wanted to say hi.

Kevin said...

Hey Sandy, good to hear from you. Wondering where you went. Well... not totally boring. Watching the storms blow in from the 14th floor overlooking the ocean is so cool, but the heat keeps me down most days. I miss snow, the smell of the leaves in the fall and the blossoms of flowers in spring.

Sandy said...

Hey!!! Hope this finds you well! So great talking to you here. Yes, I guess I can see how you'd miss the snow & change of season. Constant heat is probably the hardest thing to feel rested and comfortable in, especially without ac.