Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Sandstorm in Beijing


The other day in Beijing there was a big sandstorm that blew in. This is not so unusual to happen in Beijing, it does happen from time to time, but its my first one. I didn't realize it was coming. That day was a pleasant day, temps were high, and me and a few of the guys decided to go out for beers at a patio bar. I knew there was a northerly wind coming around 5pm. Usually that means that the AQI gets low, in other words we get a blast of fresh northern air. I was looking forward to that, but at 5pm it was like someone flicked a light switch. The sky darkened and we headed inside. On the way home I put on my mask and kept my head down. When I got home I checked the AQI on my phone. Its usually somewhere in the 50-150 range indicating good to a bit unhealthy air. It was 895! That norther wind kept blowing all night and by the time morning came the sky was blue as ever, AQI 65. This is the sky in Beijing. 

No comments: