Wednesday, February 06, 2019

"Wat" is going on in Chiang Mai

Having been through Thailand a few times, mostly in Bangkok, we decided to take a different path. A few people that we know had talked about Chiang Mai, Thailands northern and former capital as being a very relaxed place. Like much of Thailand, I think, this turned out to be true. We spent a few sleepy days here going to wats and temples, night markets, and just generally walking about.









Many of the wats here, especially Chedi Luang, Suan Dok, and Chiang Mang were really beautiful. It is hard for my very poor photography skills to capture how massive and ornate the halls were. Throughout the city of Chiang Mai and especially in the old walled city there were many wats and temples to visit. While I loved visiting these places there was one thing I found rather odd. There were a number of places that had statues of monks in or around the temples and halls. That is fine and all, but these were quite lifelike and individualized statues. The first few times I encountered them I thought they might be real as, you know, monks sometimes don't move very much. 

NOT my photos btw:

After a long (not really) day of walking around to temples we watched the sunset by the river and, of course, I had a nice big bottle of Singha to wash down dinner. 







No comments: