Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The First Post




As most of you know I have left Egypt and I am back in the U.S. I am now teaching at a small Catholic school outside of my home town. I am teaching a combined 4&5th grade, a combined 6&7 grade, and eighth grade in the subjects of social studies and religion. The social studies are fun, but the religion is a challenge. Not that I don't know a few things about religion, but it is difficult for me to put that into school lessons. The younger kids are a special challenge for me because I am not used to kids so young. Generally things are ok though. I have few photos to include. Most are of the town I am living in now. Some of them are of the school. It is so small!! There are only about sixty kids in K-8! Most of my classes are about twelve students. It is strange. I am not used to kids who are so well behaved and are in such small groups. Sometimes the silence is unbearable. Although it is good for me. I think this will really round out my resume'. Now I will have taught in public, private, and parochial. I will have taught grades 4-12. I will have taught urban, rural, and international. Anyhow, I christen this sight and hope you keep coming and enjoying.

posted by Kevin Thomas Hurley @ 11:17 AM 2 comments

1 comment:

Kevin said...

These are comments made on this post on my other now defunct site.
Dad said...
Well those don't look like Sand dunes-lol. Shoulda brought some of that heat back with you !!

8:48 PM


kquirk said...
Hi Kevin,
I'm a freelance writer working for the School of Education. I'm doing a story about the two bloggers who shared experiences with students and faculty. This is for an article in the next issue of EdLine the alumni publication. I couldn't find your email address in your blogs so am sending my questions via this blog. Feel free to delete it when you're finished. Here are the questions:
What is the most important thing you learned from your experience teaching in a different culture?
How will you bring your experience into your classrooms in future?
What was most different about teaching in Egypt?
What was most similar to American classrooms?
Did you get a lot of feedback from UWM colleagues – both faculty and students?
Would you teach abroad again …. In the same area, of the world, or a different area?
Do you share your experiences with your current students?
What is their reaction?
What was the most rewarding result of you experience?
What was the most frustrating or the biggest challenge for you?
You can respond via email to quirkink@aol.com. I just set up a blog so I could contact you, but haven't done anything with it yet.
As an FYI, I am a freelance writer filling in for the editor of EdLine who's on maternity leave. I have a son living in Siberia so reading your blogs reminded me of some of his adventures in a different culture.

10:44 AM