Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Little Things

Of course there are the little things that you find about a new country that seem… so odd at times! Once you start to integrate you start to forget that those things are strange. In light of that, before I forget, I am going to point out some of the little things that are different.
1. Most faucets shut off by pushing the handle up and turn on by pushing it down. Makes sense right, but its opposite of the U.S. so my pants often get wet.
2. Doors lock when you turn the key away from the locking mechanism, contrary to what we do in the west. I often walk into doors because I think the lock is open. (Kristin, you would laugh at me all the time here!)
3. At gas stations you don’t get out of your car. Full service! You just tell them the grade you want and how much and they go to work. They also wipe down your car and give you a rag to wipe your dash with. Plus, gas is… well, its not cheap or expensive. It just is.
4. Garbage is separated into about six different categories. It’s really annoying. Bottles go in one box, but their caps and wrappers go in another… and you have to wash them out before you throw them away. Cans go in a separate box, paper must be stacked and tied with ribbon. Food wastes go in one box. And there are a couple others that I haven’t really figured out yet. Plus, they require you to put your name and address on all the bags and bring them to a neighborhood site. If they are not satisfied with the way your sorted it, they bring it back to you! They also only collect on certain days, so Monday is burnables, Tuesday is bottles (but not caps!) Thursday is paper etc.
5. While people sometimes will not look you in the eyes when they speak to you they will certainly have no problem looking over you shoulder to see what you are writing or reading, which is happening to me as I write this. At the Onsen (bathhouse) they will also not have problem staring at your privates.
6. Squat toilets are annoying, yes, they are, I don’t care what anyone says. Don’t give me that “culturally insensitive” line. I don’t care, squat toilets are bad.
7. Rules, there are a lot of them I don’t understand and never will. Enough said.
8. Ovens don’t really exist, think toaster oven without a temperature gage.
9. Gear seems more important than training. Going out for baseball? Don’t train, just buy all the equipment so you look like you know what you are doing.
10. Some doorways and ceilings are very low, watch your head! Even I, at 6 feet, hit my head sometimes.
11. The western toilets here are awesome, they have heated seats, butt misters, and bade’s all in one.
12. Cigarettes are cheap, about the equivalent of 3 bucks a pack and, because of the Japanese’s love of the vending machine, you can buy them almost anywhere. I even have a cigarette machine in my school! Ok, that last one was a lie, but it almost seems like there should be one there too.
13. Shoes, shoes, shoes. I have to buy about six new pairs of shoes because of the places that I can and cannot wear them. At school, I have one pair for outside, one pair for inside, and one pair for the gymnasium. At home, one pair for outside, one pair for inside. At the local gym, one pair for outside, one pair for inside. Cleats, hiking boots, snowboarding boots! Oh my! The shoes are piling up. Make sure when you take them off to trade for another pair that you face them towards the door, away from the door is rude.

When we experience other cultures we first see the things that are not like our own. They stick out. They are dwelled on because they are different and need to be minded in order for us to “fit in” or be polite. This also leads us to think about being different from the culture we are in, most of the time. One needs to remember that people are not all that different.
I was watching a choral practice today when it occurred to me that these kids are just like kids in the States. Their parents want them to succeed. They want to do well in school. They want to be cool. They want to sleep all the time. They like sports, girls/boys, hanging out, eating junk food. It made me feel really good to have that moment again where the people around me started to feel like my people. I was part of a community that knew me and loved me.
This past weekend I had a home-stay in which I spent a few days with a local family while going to language classes during the day. My family consisted of two grandparents (70,67) and two grandchildren Kaigo and Emi. Kaigo was 12, just visiting. Emi was 11, she has autism. I loved her the most, she would sit by me and say what English she knew… again and again. I wanted to hug her all the time, she was very sweet.
As I spent my nights with them I came to know them as a family and some of there other relatives came by too to say hello and just spend time with loved ones. The weekend went really well and I will be visiting them often. It was really nice to get Japanese grandparents who will make cookies for me, have breakfast with me, or give me vegetables from their garden. Really, it will feel good to have grandparents who are looking out for my well being in that grandparents sort of way.
All these experienced combined, the meeting of the kids, getting a host family of sorts, starting to forget the odd cultural things, they all make me feel more at home. I feel like I have taken a big step in adjusting. I am making this my home, sort of.

6 comments:

veryshuai said...

I read an article about the intensive recycling in Japan once. You apparently are in one of the more lax districts. One of them apparently had over 40 classifications for waste products.

About the similarity of peoples across cultures, amen brother. Keep preaching that message.

I remember another odd Japanese cultural artifact from a New York Times article a while back. Apparently Japanese will go to great lengths to return lost items. For instance, 330,000 lost umbrellas were turned in to the police in 2002. Check out the article yourself: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/08/international/asia/08LOST.html?ei=5007&en=98f9bd88863a14f5&ex=1388898000&partner=USERLAND&pagewanted=print&position=

Anonymous said...

OK, cookies are nice, but can they make party mix?

Kevin said...

Dave, yes, the Japanese are really, really, socially concious. I heard a true story about someone who left there entire luggage on a Tokyo subway(laptop, 50000 yen, clothes, electronic dictionary, etc.) and had them returned. I also heard about someone who left their wallet on a train around here with 80000 in it and it was mailed to them by the people who found it! Amazing! Crime here is very minimal. The only real crime is umbrella and bicycle theft. Thats really about it and that doesn't happen that often.

Mom (haha(japanese for mom)) No, they do not make party mix let alone GOOD party mix. You will have to send me some!, but they certainly are very careing and concerned for my well being. A very nice environment in which I have tried my best to be recipricol.

japalinka said...

you are so very lucky to have a home stay! I really wish i had one while here. No one ever offered and i never asked. maybe i should.
thanx for pointing out the difference. you're right; after a while they just become every day life.

here's another story. in the middle of the biggest rope pull in the world (according to Guiness) with thousands of people crowded in one place, a friend lost an iPod (not even his own, so imagine the panic). Checked with police when the crowds started dispersing and guess what? someone turned it in. :)

Anonymous said...

you write so well kevin ~ i love reading your stuff.

Anonymous said...

The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree... aaaahhhh!