Friday, January 17, 2014

Osaka Peace Museum




On the way into Japan we had to stop in Osaka for a few days so that Aya could take a test. As I had the day away from the wife I thought I would do something fun. After researching a bit in the morning I decided to go to a museum! I read that the Osaka Peace Museum was interesting because in some ways this museum put a large degree of blame for the war on Japan and also a large degree of admission of wrong doing in Nanjing. As I entered the museum I was greeted by two women at the counter and a security guard. Admission was cheap, 400yen I think but I can't remember. The museum has three floors, the third largely devoted to a peace memorial type room and a library. Most of the displays on WWII were on the first and second floor. It was indeed interesting and there were many different displays openly showing the atrocities the Japanese committed not only in Nanjing but also a section on SE Asia. I found particularly interesting a book written in English for Malaysians warning about the Japanese. It had accompanying pictures of Japanese soldiers bayoneting babies. Always a page turner.
More or less I was glad I went to the museum. Though small and mostly deserted I enjoyed the different displays of memorabilia and I think the reviews were right in saying that it did have admissions of Japanese guilt. Perhaps this is especially poignant in a Japan that is becoming more and nationalistic under prime minister Abe. 

No comments: