Monday, July 07, 2014

The End of One Chapter





My time in Malaysia is coming to a close. Just one more day before we travel home to see my family and then on to Beijing. One more day to stay at the E&O hotel, and to see my dearest friend here one more time.

On a hot humid day 2 years ago I touched down at Penang airport. The airport was under renovation at the time, but I didn't know that. All I thought was that the airport looked really crappy with all the dust and tarps all over. Immigration was packed and took forever to get through. Oh, it was SO hot. Our head of secondary was waiting for us and he was nice enough, but on the drive to Batu Ferringhi we had to make our way through some harrowing traffic and he even admitted that sometimes he got lost because the streets were a nonsensical maze. After we were dropped at our hotel I had one thing on my mind, dinner and a beer. I ate expensive veggie soup and a very expensive bottle of Tiger beer before turning in. The next morning I was so scared to run next to traffic that I just ran loops around the hotel's floors sweating sheets. So started my journey here.
Two years later we are on the way out. Most of those impressions have changed. I still think beer is expensive which led me to home brewing for the first time. I still think traffic is harrowing, but now that I have sold my car I can enjoy the scenery a bit more rather than dodging mokeys/dogs/motorbikes/pedestrians/other cars. It is still damned hot!
Malaysia may be a place I often shake my head at, but it is endearing in a lot of ways too. A Muslim country that will arrest people over satirical videos, but then will allow a Porky's restaurant to open in a popular shopping mall. A place where three + distinct cultures interact with more or less tolerance, more or less. A place where rotten smelling fish is the local delicacy. Where 25C is cold weather. Where police don't seem to exist, yet order more or less does, more or less. Batu Ferringhi became my home and though the first year was difficult I came to appreciate the students I had. They truly are top notch and I was lucky to have such motivated individuals. Having students who are willing and driven to learn makes teaching a rewarding experience. More than that I learned about their lives and varying circumstances and got to know some unique individuals that I won't soon forget.

Each time I take a step in a new direction I wonder if I am doing the right thing. Many people I talk to share similar conversations with me, they are like minded traveling/teaching individuals. I think we all realize how lucky we are to have such great jobs, and lucky lucky lives. Leaving Penang I can say that I am once again lucky. 2 years wiser in my career, much richer in my friends, and about 10lbs heavier from all the good food here! Thank you Penang. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to seeing you, even tho just briefly!
Mom

Unknown said...

Time to change the name of your blog again!

Kevin said...

Done.

Unknown said...

Cool pic, I love it!