Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Hurleys Go to Washington



Going to Washington to see our friends Brian and Cindy, who we hadn’t seen since our last day in Japan 4 years ago, was one of our top priorities when visiting America this summer. Unfortunately our timing was very good and we didn’t get to see them except for the last day we were there. However, I did get to see a couple of my NEH institute buddies from a few years ago, Lance and Jessica. The last time I was in DC was almost 7 years ago when I took a school trip there with my class of 8th graders. It was fun to recall that trip, those kids are graduating university now!
It was also great to bring Aya to DC. Aya likes to say that she hasn’t seen much of America, though I don’t know why since prior to this trip she had been to my family’s home in Wisconsin, Chicago, Portland, and Hawaii. That is a lot more of the country than most Americans have seen. Putting DC in her pocket though gives her enough breadth to say that she has seen “coast to coast”.
Though Aya had to work some of the days we were there we still got a chance to go by the white house, do a tour of the capitol building, see the holocaust museum, the crime and punishment museum, the Vietnam memorial, the Lincoln memorial, and take in a show at the E Street Cinema. In addition we went to a number of different restaurants to try to get a taste of what was around.
Overall I think Aya was impressed with the variety of people and what they brought to DC. I too felt like it was a very diverse city and my friend Brian pointed out that it is a very young city as well which gives it an energetic feel. Definitely DC is a place we may come back to. If history is any judge, I certainly will

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not ALL the Hurleys went to Washington!