Monday, September 12, 2005

School Days

I have now been teaching, for real, for about a week and i am starting to get a feel for the classes that I have. Most of my kids are good, academically and behavioral. Some you can see the evil in their eyes. I haven't had too many problems yet. I have kicked out three kids and have given four detentions. Detentions are bad for me because there is not a room to put them in at the moment. So if I want to give one then it has to be in my room which means that i have to give up my lunch. I have a desk and white erase boards and a set of class books. The kids still do not have books of their own or lockers.

One of the most etntertaining things is teaching PE. Yesterday I played basketball against some of the eleventh graders. I was actually one of the better players. It felt very strange. I also play futbol and throw the frisbee around. That is all that I have done so far. In a few weeks we will start a unit for American football. It is really funny because a female teacher and I are the head teachers for around 300 students. Everything is up to us.

Life here is still going well. I joined a course at the local community center taking arabic. I am hoping that, according to the five year plan, once I am back in the states wherever i go to grad school will accept arabic as a form of Mediteranean Studies instead of having to take Greek or Latin. Either way it will be nice to have so that one day I can snap on a kid in class and do it in arabic. I haven't been doing much lately, just preparing to teach and going out around town. Hope things are going well in the states.

2 comments:

japalinka said...

so if there are no behavioral problems, how come you're kicking kids out of classes?
It must be a trip being where you are. I have no access to japanese language classes, but I did sign up for a correspondance course and that will start in a month. And i'm seconding whoever Kris is on the photos request.
cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi kevin,
I've been reading your blog whenever I can. You should teach the eleventh graders dodgeball. That seems to be the hot game in the states....second to Lacrosse lately. American Futbol is too violent unless of course you teach futbol as in the European sport, which is Soccer! Both boys and girls. Keep the adventure going!
Laurie and crew