Monday, August 15, 2005

after the first week

Ok, since the last log. Cairo is still hot and dirty. The basic principle here is, “dirty kings” I can really do what I like, but the catch is that I am a really hot and dirty. My apartment is huge; I played a game of cricket in the apartment. I paced out the cricket floor to see how long it is, forty three of my feet which I think is about forty actual feet. That is the dining room and living room which are right next to each other in a rectangular fashion. The apartment is huge. Other than that, we are dirty kings. One of the two toilets did not have a seat on it. The washing machine would not plug into the wall. The phone did not work. The TV did not work. Since then we have worked with the realtor and worked those things out. We still do not have sheets or dishes but here that is no problem. It is way too hot for blankets. Many restaurants deliver and you pay about three dollars a plate, delivery included. We have Hardee’s, Mcdonald’s, KFC, Quizno’s, Pizza hut, Domino’s, you get the idea. So I eat about once a day and then sweat out the twenty glasses of water that I drink. It is very easy to become dehydrated. The quoute of the moment is, “Does it hurt when you piss? Holy hell I’m dehydrated!” You are in a constant sweat. I have lost about ten pounds.

I have also got a membership at the ACE club. The association of Cairo expatriates. Basically the place across the street where all the Brits go and drink. That is where I learned much of the rules of cricket. It is a nice place to talk to other people who speak English. Since last time I also went on a hash.
A hash is led by the Cairo Hash Harriers. As I understand it there are several chapters throughout the world, basically every major city. I went out into the desert which isn’t exactly like you might picture it. Here it is very hot and sandy, but also very rocky. I went on a 5 mile hike which was mostly going up and down very steep rocky hills. It seemed kinda strange because at certain points you could loose your life if you screw up. We then gathered after the hike and formed a circle to ridicule some, name others, and induct a few new people (me). We had to get in the middle, explain who we were and why we were here, and then drink a beer very fast. Don’t worry guys, I didn’t let you down. I also met a couple from Oshkosh which is very strange because most people have no idea where Milwaukee is. After initiation we cooked out and got really drunk. Long story short, Jesse left his passport and I left my camera and about 900LE out in the desert in a backpack. It turned out OK! Mystic Meg and Underdeveloped had grabbed it.

Tonight I went on a Faluka ride; I have no idea if I spelled that right. We went sailing on the Nile. Can you imagine! Me, on the biggest river on the world. It was very relaxing. Tomorrow we go to the school for the first time. We have two weeks of get ready time and then we get students. Hopefully next time I will have some short video to post, but right now I am on a wireless connection which is cool, but it also cuts out all the time. Hope all is well in the States. I miss everyone very much and can’t wait until someone comes to share in my sweaty days.

No comments: