Monday, June 26, 2006

4000 Miles In a Jar On the Mantle




By the time we got into Montana my uncle and I were pretty sick of each other. At that point we had spent about six days together non-stop. We even slept in the same room. I wanted blood and so did he. We both agreed it would be best to move it along a little faster. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, and back into Wisconsin went much faster than the first half of the trip. A few notes from that leg. Some of the roads in Wyoming are red. I’m not sure why, but I am guessing it has something to do with the rock in the area and the availability of quarry. Also, Montana is called big sky country at least that is what I have heard. Although Montana did have a big sky I am skeptical about rumors I heard that Montana is long and flat. Montana did not seem that flat to me, but I was in the southern part, maybe in the north it is flatter. We also stopped at Mt. Rushmore where I hiked around the mountain. The faces are surprisingly small, at least that is what I thought. I kind of had the same feeling as when I first saw the sphinx. Perhaps in my own mind these objects have been built up to epic proportions in the back rooms of my mind. I don’t know. Lastly, I want to give a salute to my traveling companion on this trip. We will have to put this one in a jar, cork it, and put it on the mantle for later. 4000 total miles, California the long way, nine states, and two countries is a long way. A long way. A long way. Happy trails.

No comments: