Monday, June 19, 2006

British Columbia





Once into Canada we went to Vancouver. It is really the only place I did research on before we left so the only place that I really knew what I wanted to do. We stayed at an older hotel that night and decided to go to the Capilano Park that night and then do some whale watching the next day. Capilano was pretty cool. You have to cross a really long suspension walking bridge to get to the other side of this gorge. The whole time it sways and bounces. Once on the other side there was a series of walkways suspended in the fir trees. It was really fun. That night we went to the pub near our hotel and I got talking to this older Irish guy, Rosco. Rosco really loved me. When he found out my name was Hurley, that I was Catholic, and that I teach in a Catholic school I became like a son to him. Either that or the pints were getting to his head. He invited me out on his boat the next day. He fished off of Vancouver in the Pacific, one of those 40 foot fishing boats with the boom arms that come out to drag hooks. I was really tempted, but still hoping to make time the next day. The following morning Paul and I awoke early and went to Steveston in south Vancouver to get on our boat. Once there we boarded a small craft and set out for the San Juan Islands. It took about two hours to get there, but it was worth it. While in the area we saw Killer Whales about fifteen feet from the boat. On the ride back we saw numerous Sea Lions and about twenty Bald Eagles. It was a little expensive, about 85$ each. However, having six hours in the boat, getting to see these beautiful animals in their environment, and getting a little snack in between was well worth it. At early evening that day we set out of Vancouver and again headed for the Canadian border.

No comments: