Monday, June 19, 2006

Passport Please


When Paul and I reached the Canadian border we were asked a series of question. I assume the man we were talking to was trained to take our responses and see if they made us potential threats. In any case, we were told to pull to the left and enter the building with a piece of paper. What the paper said, I'm not really sure because it didn't appear to make any sense. Once parked and inside the building we were again asked a series of questions. This time they were a little more direct. We both were asked where we have lived, our professions and such. I was asked what I taught, what the age group was, and most particularly why I had decided to teach in Egypt. Everything was going smoothly until they asked if we had ever been arrested. We both answered at the same time, "no" "Yes". I was asked what for and tried to explain what an Absolute Sobriety ticket was. The guy didn't get it. He explained that Canada would not let me enter because I had a DWI. I kept telling him it wasn't a DWI, I wasn't drunk, I was just underage. I had to call home and get court documents faxed to him for him to see that I did not actually have a DWI. When he read the documents and realized what the charges where and that I had paid the fines he let us through. Enter Canada.

No comments: